Sunday

The Sunday Poll: Does the federal debt ceiling vote affect you?

The Sunday Poll: Does the federal debt ceiling vote affect you?

Shall we raise the ceiling or drain the debt?

Over the past year or so, I’ve followed many federal debates intensely.As the latest debt-ceiling crisis hit the fan this past month, I prepared for my latest immersion in worries about the end of life as we know it in America when we default on our debt, watch the dollar go into free-fall, lose our international credit rating, and all the world’s viable economies take their toys and go home, leaving us to the Great Depression II, except that now, horrible times are «the new normal».

And then I got really, really tired just thinking about it, and instead I began secretly counting down the days until Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 premiered.

I’m young, so I haven’t had that many years of actively following federal politics.Perhaps older Americans can tell me: is the US government always in such a frenzy, or is this par for the course?I know many pundits and politicians mourn for America’s good old days, but I don’t know if they mean Colonial times, the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, the Civil War, the Panic of 1873, the Spanish-American War, the influenza epidemic, World War I, Prohibition, the Great Depression, World War II, Jim Crow, the Korean War, McCarthyism, the Cold War,Vietnam, the Cuban Missile Crisis, the recession of the early 1980в