Wednesday

Dear Erica Jong

Dear Erica Jong

Dear Erica,

I read your essay in the New York Times «Is Sex Pa*se?»

This pa*sage really got my ire up!

Better to give up men and sleep with one’s children.Better to wear one’s baby in a man-distancing sling and breast-feed at all hours so your mate knows your breasts don’t belong to him.Our current orgy of multiple maternity does indeed leave little room for sexuality.With children in your bed, is there any space for sexual pa*sion?The question lingers in the air, unanswered.

Well allow me to answer!

I remember when my first child, Phoebe, was a few weeks old and we attended an afternoon barbecue at my in-laws.The topic of sleep the ultimate new parent topic arose I shared that we had Phoebe in our bed.Cousin Norma jumped right in, «You can’t do that!It will ruin your marriage!» I was shocked.

I kept Phoebe in our bed initially as a survival method.When I placed her in the ba*sinet at the end of our bed in the tiny house in the NYC suburbs she looked like she was in California.Neither Rob nor I needed to leave our bed to attend to our baby.We adored her and loved having her close to us.It also made it much easier to feed her through the night.Rob and I could cuddle and make love without disturbing her.Having a baby in bed increased our intimacy.We were more focused, more intense.

At this backyard shindig I learned that Cousin Norma had В been married and divorced three times.She was the one with marital problems.

And Erica, I know you breastfed your daughter.Did you co-sleep?Did you put Molly between you and your husband?

When you parent you have to have a sense of humor.You have to laugh if one moment you are a sexual goddess caught up in the moment and suddenly you switch gears, twist your body toward your baby, offer a breast, keep skin-to-skin contact with two people, be two at once, settle the baby down and go back to being the pa*sionate goddess.You have to be able to laugh.

You do not have to divide yourself into sections.Similar to parenting more than one child you meet the needs of a younger child and an older child.You can be a present wife and mother.

Oh, dear Erica, I think you feel you need to be an orange all segmented.Me, I am a juicy peach- no segments, a complete package.

After 18 years of marriage, twelve years of breastfeeding and even more years of a family bed Rob and I are a happy couple with an enviable sex life.

As a woman who writes essays about the guilt of mothering and feminism please do not discount attachment as anti-woman.You are stoking the Mommy War fires.

Sincerely,

Leigh Anne


<br>Today the thunderstorm finally happened<br>